!!Automate Operations for the Development process!! As we know 100% is not possible but again it is possible to automate your daily Server Administrative tasks. We should create a better Sustained Engineering plan to gradually automate some or even more operations or Administration.
Okay...Do not migrate all your operations at once. I would suggest automate some operations and when you think that the operation is stable, then move to the next phase....
I do manage my Server Administration fully automated way and YES without GUI and all i use SQLCMD, PowerShell and Windows Batch file...
Let's share what i do and what you do in your environment....
- Database creation/clonning, multiple database Refresh/Restore/Backup and database migration these are fully automated using custom Stored Procedure, SQLCMD
- Download SQL .bak file from FTP Server and Restore onto the Databse Server using automated WINSCP command!!!
- Deploy code on multiple databses and multiple servers using SQLCMD
- Logging all database deployment process into a central database table using SQLCMD where it keeps all records like who deployed code, who took the backup and who restore the database and when and so many
- Creat/Alter/Drop SQL Logins and alter SQL Login's password multiple servers just a one click
- Install SQL Server in a silent mode, install latest service pack using CMD, add SQL port using powershel and reboot the server using cmd command line and YES ALL THESE ARE WRAPED UP in a single BATCH FILE JUST YOU NEED a CLICK and grabe a coffee!!! CUZ IF DONT LIKE GUI LIKE NEXT NEXT NEXT!!!
- What about Post Configuration??? YES I RUN a PS Script that call 17 SQL Scripts such as Backup job, Index Job, memory settings, Database Mail configuration, Default Alets etc etc .....which will take care your instance ready to go for LIVE Porduction!!!
- Bulk data load into the warehouse databse using BCP CMD utility....
For more details please contact me